Professional Standards Investigations – A 21st Century Procedural Justice Approach.
Course Description: This course will provide best practices for conducting professional standards investigations through a procedural justice approach while emphasizing department integrity and transparency. In addition, the course will provide critical insights into the importance of internal procedural justice, including the benefits of developing a disciplinary matrix; how accountability and discipline can earn and maintain public trust; and provide the investigator with the tools they need to conduct an effective investigation and reach an evidence-based conclusion. (Attendees may find it helpful to take Course 4- Developing a Professional Standards Disciplinary Matrix, but Course 4 is not a pre-requisite for Course 5)
Some of the key topics that will be covered include:
- Campus safety in a modern constitutional democracy
- Incidents requiring disciplinary action
- Professional standards investigation process
- Employee disciplinary penalty matrix
- Personnel early warning systems
- Balancing transparency with confidentiality
- Trust and accountability through independent oversight
- Crisis communications following critical incidents
Audience: Campus Police and Public Safety Command Staff and Supervisory Personnel
This course will be taught by higher education experts who have a background and expertise in developing and implementing Professional Standards (Internal) Investigations for Public Safety and Law Enforcement agencies on college campuses.